This pie is absolutely lovely to look at. It is delicious too! The recipe takes a bit of time, but you will be happy you put in the extra effort.
Strawberry Satin Pie
Author: Cooking up a Project
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 pie crust baked according to directions
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (1/4 oz) pkg. unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup heavy cream (whipped with 1 tsp vanilla)**
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup water, divided
- 4 tsp sugar, divided
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp red food coloring
- ½ tsp lemon flavoring
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt and unflavored gelatin.
- Gradually add milk until smooth.
- Cook on medium heat stirring constantly until mixture is thick.
- In a small bowl, slightly beat 1 egg.
- Add a little of the hot thickened filling into the egg and the mix back into the hot mixture.
- Chill mixture completely in the refrigerator. Mixture will be very thick.
- Beat filling with a mixer until smooth.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Pour into a prepared, cooled pie crust.
- Slice strawberries, saving one large one for the center of the pie.
- Arrange berries in circles, beginning from the outside into the middle, placing the large berry in the center.
- Combine ¾ cup water, 2 tsp sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes.
- Mix together ¼ cup water and cornstarch; add to the glaze mixture and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add 2 tsp sugar, red food coloring and lemon flavoring.
- Cook until clear.
- Top with glaze and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- You can use 1 package of Dream Whip mixed according to package directions in place of whipped cream if desired.