These are fun to make. Mine are never perfectly shaped like the store bought ones, but they are much better for you and work just the same. I use “Tanya’s Whole Wheat Bread” to make the dough. I cut the recipe in half to make about 10 pitas. You can use whatever wheat bread recipe you like the best.
- Your favorite bread dough
- Make tennis ball size balls and roll to ¼ inch thickness.
- Place circles on parchment paper or tin foil sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Place circles on a cooling rack and bake in hot oven for 4-5 minutes on lowest rack until very light brown.
- Bake only 2-3 at a time and make sure to let the temperature of the oven come back up to 500 degrees each time. The instant hot heat makes the bread puff.
- They will have a hard crust. Before they are completely cool, put them in a plastic bag. The steam they release will soften them.
- Cut them in two and fill with your favorite filling.