One Pot and Orzo in the same meal…perfection. Have you tried Orzo pasta? It looks a bit like overgrown rice 🙂 Since it is so small, it cooks pretty quickly.
This recipe combines this lovely little pasta with yummy chicken apple sausage. I love the flavor of this sausage. I have tried some different brands, but I usually buy this one because it is readily available at my local stores.
I made this meal for company the other night and it was a hit! It calls for zucchini, but if you don’t like that you can substitute asparagus, green beans, or even colored peppers. Like all one pot meals, it is very versatile.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into discs and then halved
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, cut in half and then thinly sliced
- 4 chicken apple sausages, cut into round discs
- 3 cups orzo pasta
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes with liquid
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Add zucchini (or vegetable of choice), mushrooms and sausage and cook another 2 minutes.
- Pour in orzo pasta, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes, bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook about 10 minutes or until pasta is done and sauce is creamy. You need to stir this frequently while cooking to prevent it sticking to the bottom as the liquid thickens.
Adapted from tablefortwoblog