Jeffrey and I made these up. We wanted Sloppy Joes with a bit more substance. They came out very good and were a hit with the whole family. This recipe makes a lot, but the leftovers freeze nicely for an easy meal later.
Hearty Sloppy Joes
Author: Cooking up a Project
Recipe type: Main Dishes
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp prepared mustard
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 (15 ½ oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ½ oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14½ oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- In a saucepan, add ground beef, onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Add black beans, kidney beans and diced tomatoes to the beef.
- Combine ketchup, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and salt together; add to beef mixture; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns. Yields: 10-12 servings
- Once the beef is cooked you can place everything in a slow cooker to simmer throughout the day.
- If you want a bit of kick, use diced tomatoes with chilies.
- Want to use some food storage??? You can substitute cooked wheat for ¼ to ½ the ground beef.