It took some tweaking to get this recipe right, but the results were worth the effort. The flavorful creamy sauce really appealed to my family.
Garlic and Pesto Chicken Florentine
Author: Cooking up a Project
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 1 (10 oz) bag fresh spinach leaves
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp pesto
- 1 Tbsp Asiago cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 (16 oz) pkg dry penne pasta
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 2 garlic cloves, minced; sauté for 1 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until no longer pink inside.
- Add spinach and sauté all together for 3 to 4 minutes. You may want to put a lid on your skillet to contain the steam and help the spinach wilt down a bit faster.
- In a sauce pan melt 2 Tbsp butter until sizzling; add garlic.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 1 minute.
- Add flour; continue cooking until smooth and bubbly.
- Add remaining garlic cream ingredients.
- Continue cooking, until sauce is thickened.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp pesto; set aside.
- In a large pot cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes or until desired amount. Drain.
Put it all together
- Add chicken/spinach mixture to pasta.
- Stir in garlic pesto sauce.
- Mix well and top with chopped tomatoes and cheese.