We had these at a restaurant a few weeks ago. I found a few recipes online and adapted them to what I had on hand. They turned our really well. I fried some and grilled some in the Foreman Grill. Both ways tasted great!
Author: Cooking up a Project
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Mash the chickpeas in a large bowl or pulse in a food processor.
- Stir together mashed chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley, cumin, lemon juice, egg, salt, pepper and baking powder.
- Add bread crumbs until mixture is not sticky, but will stay formed together.
- Form into patties or balls. If mixture will not hold together, add a little water.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or pan to 375 degrees or medium high.
- Carefully drop patties/balls into the hot oil and fry until brown.
- Turn frequently for even cooking.
- Option: I also baked some in my Foreman grill instead of frying them.