I modified my cinnamon roll recipe to make these yummy doughnuts. The kids were so happy!
Author: Cooking up a Project
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast
- ½ cup lukewarm milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shortening
- 4 to 4½ cups flour
- Mix together water, yeast, powdered milk, sugar, salt, egg and shortening.
- Slowly add flour ½ cup at a time. This will be a soft dough, so only add flour until you can work with it.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead by hand until smooth (about 5 minutes). You can knead in a mixer, but the finished product will not be quite as light.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size (about an hour).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut with doughnut cutter.
- Let doughnuts sit out and raise until double.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degrees.
- Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a metal spatula.
- Turn doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown.
- Remove from hot oil; drain on a wire rack.
- Dip doughnuts in glaze or frosting.