We liked this recipe. Some of my family enjoys spicy things and some of us do not. This recipe had just the right amount of kick to please all of us.
Tex-Mex Chicken Casserole
Author: Cooking up a Project
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 large poblano chili, seeds discarded, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeds discarded, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add onion, red pepper, poblano and jalapeño chiles.
- Sauté until vegetables are just tender; stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add flour and stir to mix.
- Slowly add broth and milk while stirring.
- Heat to boiling and cook until thickened; stirring constantly.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Spread a thin, even layer of sauce on the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with half of the chips, sauce, chicken and cheese.
- Repeat layering once.
- Bake 30 minutes.