My family really liked this recipe. They ate their fill for dinner and then fought over the leftovers the next day. You could of course make your own bread dough, but the frozen loaves make this recipe simple. I’d say this one is a keeper!
Italian Chicken Loaf
Author: Cooking up a Project
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 ½ tsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- ½ cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups Asiago cheese
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed and raised
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add the chicken, peppers and seasonings and heat through. Remove from heat and add the cheese.
Putting it together
- Roll out one loaf of bread dough into a rectangle about ½ inch thick. Place half of the filling down the center leaving about an inch at the ends clear. Fold the ends onto the filling. Fold each side over the filling and pinch to seal. Place loaf on a greased baking sheet. Repeat directions for the other loaf.
Finishing it up
- Brush loaves with melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until bread is done. Cut into 1 ½ inch slices to serve.
- **This recipe is very versatile. You can add your favorite vegetables, finely chopped, and sauté them with the onion and mushrooms. Carrots, zucchini or spinach are just a few ideas.