Chicken Salad Sandwiches. It’s time for light lunches and nicer weather.
Winter has held on far too long this year.
We served these on mini-croissants at a Women’s Conference at our church recently. About 150 women attended. We had a great time together and enjoyed munching on these lovely sandwiches.
These are easy to put together and look so nice. My boys like them made on Hawaiian rolls too. The recipe makes 5 cups of chicken salad. The size of roll you serve it on with determine how many servings you will get.
I boiled my chicken with a little salt and pepper. You could also buy a rotisserie chicken and use the meat. Whatever way you choose to cook the chicken, I suggest using minimal seasonings. Otherwise it may throw off the overall taste.
This is the basic recipe, but feel free to make additions. Sometimes we add 1/2 cup of cashews, shredded cheese, dried cranberries or cherries, or water chestnuts. Whatever you are in the mood for will work.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk Celery, chopped fine
- 2 cups seedless grapes, halved or quartered
- ⅓ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- other optional ingredients (see notes)
- ⅔ cup Mayonnaise (I used lite)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp Seasoning salt (I use Lawry's)
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp lime juice
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients.
- Combine salad ingredients in a larger bowl.
- Mix the dressing into the salad ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Adapted from www.summerscraps.com