We had this pie for Thanksgiving and we all really enjoyed it. I combined a few different recipes to come up with this one. My family thinks I need to make it more often.
You know you want a slice!
Caramel Apple Pie
Author: Cooking up a Project
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 recipe for a 9 inch double pie crust
- ½ cup butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 large apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Stir in flour.
- Add water, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for about a minute.
- Add vanilla.
- Reserve ¼ cup of sauce to the side.
- Add apples to remaining sauce and stir to coat.
Putting it all together
- Place bottom crust in your pan.
- Fill with apple mixture, mounded slightly.
- Cover with lattice work of crust.
- Gently spread reserved sauce over the crust.
- Cover edges of crust with foil and bake the pie 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking 35-45 minutes, until apples are soft.
- I like to remove the foil on the edges for the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking time.