Want to try your hand at making bread bowls? This recipe makes nice sized bread bowls that enhance any soup.
Author: Cooking up a Project
Recipe type: Bread
- 2 cups very warm water
- ¼ cup powdered milk
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 6 -8 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp instant dry yeast
- Add the following ingredients in order: water, powdered milk, shortening, sugar, eggs, salt, 4 cups flour, yeast. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining flour until you form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth. (about 6 minutes) You can knead in more flour if needed.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled.
Forming the Bread Bowls
- Punch down dough.
- Divide into 6 equal pieces; shape each into a ball.
- Grease a large baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Place balls on prepared pan as far apart as possible.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Tops should be golden brown.
- Move to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut a thin slice of the top of each ball.
- Hollow out middle, pushing some bread to the sides to reinforce.
- Fill with chili or soup.